Friday, January 9, 2015

Personal Hostess

Hello everyone! So after making a successful dinner for Jess and Travis Wednesday night, they then jokingly asked me to make dinner the next night for some friends that would be coming over. Although they were kidding (kinda), I instantly said yes! When trying to come up with a menu, the first thing they said was "nothing weird," in respect to the fact that I do like to try new things. It wasn't until the next morning, Thursday, that Travis decides that chicken pot pie would do the trick. Not just any pot pie though, my Grandmothers' Chicken Pot Pie. Now, you have to understand that I grew up on my Grandmothers' (Nanny) cooking and baking. Every Sunday, my whole family gathers at my grandparents house for dinner and I can't think of any better memories from my childhood than the nights at that house. She has made every single meal, single handily, since before I can remember. Not to mention that everything she makes is exquisite! Anyways, I instantly agreed to the challenge and went off to Nannys' house to ask for the famous recipe...but like any good cook, she had no idea where the recipe was and tended to just makeshift it by memory. Luckily, she had a recipe that was very close to what she thinks she does and I left in hopes of the best. After overcoming a quick, but intense workout, I took to the marvelous grocery store to gather what I needed. The menu for the night would be a Lasagna Bites appetizer, Nanny's Chicken Pot Pie, Salad with all the fixings, and Moosewood Cowboy Cookies for dessert. Starting at 2, I was able to have everything finished and ready to go by 6. The friends arrived, we filled our plates, and I watched as everyone, but especially Travis, took their first bites of pot pie. This is his favorite meal of Nanny's, so he was the true test of my success. Laid back as he always is, he slowly began to nod his head in approval and only at that point was I able to relax in relief. Nanny would definitely be proud and I can only hope that this gives you the motivation and inspiration to try something new and challenging! Here are some pictures throughout yesterday's process, enjoy! 
~ With love, Nicole Alexis ~
Mise En Place for Nanny's Chicken Pot Pie
 
Nothing smells better than sauteed butter and vegetables.
                      
                         

No comments:

Post a Comment