Wednesday, January 14, 2015

A little bit miss matched...

With request from Travis, tonight's menu included General Tso's Chicken with Cream Cheese Wontons. At a first glance, finding an Asian recipe with low sodium content for my Dad's high blood pressure was a challenge... but as always, Pinterest is a magical source that has everything and anything. Instantly, I was able to find a recipe for Skinny General Tso's Chicken that was incredibly easy and would fit my family's health needs. This recipe can easily be altered to the preferences of your guests. My sister is not a fan of anything hot or spicy, so when adding the hot sauce and cayenne pepper, I had to back the amounts down a notch...however, a half of a teaspoon of cayenne pepper was still too much for my picky eater. Overall, the chicken turned out fantastic and had just the right amount of heat for the preference range I had at the dinner table. As for the wontons, I kind of just came up with my own recipe. I spaced out enough wontons to fill a greased baking sheet and lightly brushed some whisked egg on the edges to help with adhesion. Adding a dollop of regular cream cheese to the center of each wonton, I then pulled each of the sides up and over the mound to create a tight seal for the cheese to melt in. After brushing the capsules with a light layer of egg, I placed them in the oven at 400F until the edges became crisp and golden brown (about 5 or 6 minutes). As a complete dish, I added some sweet a sour dipping sauce on the side. Simple, easy, and delicious!
   

Dessert
Recently, I've realized how little fruit my family consumes. Not only is this a huge problem for my family, but the nation as a whole has an outstanding necessity to increase their fruit consumption. A gallup poll done in 2010 showed that nationwide, less than half of Americans (46.6%) report eating five or more servings of fruit and vegetables on five or more days per week. That's a huge issue considering more than one-third of the US adult population is obese (CDC). ANYWAYS, with that in mind, I decided to make a Berry Clafoutis for dessert! This recipe is extremely easy and doesn't take any time at all...plus it adds some fruit to your daily consumption. I hope you enjoy!
~ With love, Nicole Alexis ~



No comments:

Post a Comment